Back

Maine West High School (2017)

Des Plaines, IL

Academic Achievement
Career Development
College Readiness
Diversity
Dropout Prevention
Mentoring
Postsecondary Preparation
Suburban School Counseling

School Counseling Core Curriculum Results Report

To assess the effectiveness and impact of the three specific interventions conducted to target the goals in the 2015-16 school year, we used a variety of data sources. For perception data we used our school wide needs assessments that were conducted in 20114, 2014 and 2015. We also used pre and post tests with all of the interventions for perception data, and analyzed attendance and GPA for the outcome data. As we reviewed the perception and outcome data as a department, we came up with our basic pros and cons of how the intervention went, discussing points for improvement and areas in need of adjustment. These discussions are where the implications outlined in the results report are derived from.

When analyzing the Freshman Groups lesson, we learned that prior to the prevention, 94% felt comfortable exploring their college and/or career interests. After the intervention, 95% felt comfortable exploring their college and/or career interests, which was a 1% increase! However, there was a 1% decrease in students’ attitude toward having a goal. This inconsistency in attitude stressed the need to revisit topic during the year through various avenues. Moving forward, we implemented cooperative learning techniques in the classroom where students work in groups to discuss their results, identify with career clusters and summarize them through artwork that is shared with the larger group. We hope that this type of strategy will improve the attitude of the topic for freshman in the future. On the other hand, we learned that there were increases in the identification of the meaning of tactile learners and career clusters through the “Knowledge” and “Skills” components of the Pre and Post test. Since these lessons appeared to be very effective, it motivated our department to continue using the interactive lessons targeting those topics using “Prezi” and colorful facilitator handouts.

At the conclusion of the Dream Team Group lesson, we learned that 71% believed that study skills and time management would help them get better grades in school. After intervention, 80% believed that study skills and time management would help them get better grades in school. That demonstrated a 9% increase and validated our efforts because the participant attitudes improved over time. Moving forward, we are using that positive momentum to form a mentoring group where the African American upperclassmen that participated in the Dream Team group are able to mentor the incoming freshmen African American freshmen students. Part of that process includes tutoring one another, sharing academic resources for success, attending Service Learning opportunities, college field trips, teaching the freshmen some of the lessons that were exposed to the upperclassmen last year, among many other things. On the other hand, the average non-weighted GPA for “Dream Team” group participants was 2.94 at the beginning of the year, compared to the average non-weighted GPA for “Dream Team” group participants of 2.91 at the end of the year, which was a 1% decrease. The decrease in non-weighted GPA stressed the importance of additional focus on the group for the next two years (i.e. additional mentorship and support on the school counselor side, more focused academic support by way of Executive Functioning, and additional college/career readiness interventions). It was a reminder that the ideal outcomes of this group will more than likely be long term.

When analyzing the data of the Stress lesson data, we learned that the 2014 school-wide needs assessment showed 46% of sophomores reported high feelings of stress (7-10 on a scale of 1-10). After intervention, the 2015 school-wide needs assessment showed 40% reported high feelings of stress (7-10 on a scale of 1-10). That was a 6% decrease! We also saw that the number of hospitalization related to stress for 2014 sophomores was 8, compared to number of hospitalizations related to stress for 2015 sophomore class of 6. That was a 25% decrease! Considering that this issue was a hot topic among many of our students and staff, it truly validated our efforts. Moving forward, we will continue implementing the curriculum in the Physical Education and Health classes and expand them to more days, continue conducting more workshops with teachers on utilizing coping techniques for stress management before quizzes, tests, and final exams, and expanding our group efforts to target more students that struggles with stress.

Grade Level: 9

Lesson Topic: Freshmen group lesson #4 - Know Yourself, Know Your Future

Lesson was Presented in Which Class/Subject:

ASCA Domain, Mindsets & Behaviors Standard(s): Academic and Career: Mindset 4, Academic and Career: Behavior: Learning Strategies 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, Academic and Career: Behavior: Social Skills 3, 5, 8

Start/End: 10/28/2015

Process Data (Number of students affected): 525

Perception Data (Surveys or assessments used): Perception Data- Pre/Post Tests:

Attitude
Prior to intervention, 97% believed that having a goal would make them more successful in their career path.

After intervention, 96% believed that having a goal would make them more successful in their career path. That is a 1% decrease.

Prior to prevention, 94% felt comfortable exploring their college and/or career interests.

After intervention, 95% felt comfortable exploring their college and/or career interests. That is a 1% increase!

Skill:

Prior to intervention, 33% correctly identified a tactile learner in the scenario.

After intervention, 51% correctly identified a tactile learner in the scenario.

That’s an 18% increase!

Knowledge:

Prior to intervention, 36% correctly identified examples of career clusters. After intervention, 53% correctly identified examples of career clusters.

That’s a 17% increase!

Outcome Data (Achievement, attendance, and/or behavior data): Achievement Data: FOT Rate - The Freshmen On-track Rate (FOT) for 9th grade in 2014 was 94%, compared to the FOT rate for the 9th grade in 2015, which was 93% (1% decrease) Attendance Data: Overall attendance rate of 2014 9th grade class was 94%, compared to attendance of 2015 9th grade class, which was 95% (1 % increase)

Implications: * 1% decrease in students’ attitude toward having a goal stressed the need to revisit topic during the year through various avenues * 1% decrease in FOT rate led to increased focus on freshmen interventions * Increase in identification of the meaning of tactile learner and career cluster motivated the continued use of specific lessons targeting those topics!

Attachments


PDF
Download

Grade Level: 10

Lesson Topic: Dream Team Group: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Lesson was Presented in Which Class/Subject:

ASCA Domain, Mindsets & Behaviors Standard(s): Academic and Career: Mindset 2, 3, 5 Academic and Career: Behavior: Learning Strategies 7 Academic and Career: Behavior: Self-Management Skills 3,6

Start/End: 1/13/2016

Process Data (Number of students affected): 8

Perception Data (Surveys or assessments used): Perception Data from Pre/Post test:

Attitude:
Prior to Intervention 71% believed that study skills and time management would help them get better grades in school. After intervention, 80% believed that study skills and time management would help them get better grades in school That is a 9% increase!

Skill:
Prior to intervention, 0% correctly calculated an average GPA. After intervention, 10% correctly calculated an average GPA. That is a 10% increase!

Knowledge:
Prior to intervention, 43% correctly identified the Consumer Education graduation requirement. After intervention, 50% correctly identified the Consumer Education graduation requirement. That is a 7% increase!

Outcome Data (Achievement, attendance, and/or behavior data): Achievement Data: Average GPA - the average non-weighted GPA for “Dream Team” group participants was 2.94 at the beginning of the year, compared to the average non-weighted GPA for “Dream Team” group participants of 2.91 at the end of the year, which was a 1% decrease Attendance Data: Overall attendance rate of 2014 African American 10th grade class was 93%, compared to attendance of 2015 African American 10th grade class, which was a 94% (1% increase)

Implications: * decrease in non-weighted GPA stressed additional focus on group for the next two years (i.e., more mentorship, academic support, and college/career readiness interventions) * 1% increase in attendance rate validates importance of intervention!

Attachments


PDF
Download

Grade Level: 10

Lesson Topic: Stress: How to Deal

Lesson was Presented in Which Class/Subject:

ASCA Domain, Mindsets & Behaviors Standard(s): Social/Emotional Mindset 1, Social/Emotional Behavior: Self-Management Skills 2, 7, 8

Start/End: 4/11/2016 and 4/20/2016

Process Data (Number of students affected): 390

Perception Data (Surveys or assessments used): Needs Assessment:

2015 school-wide needs assessment showed 46% of sophomores reported high feelings of stress (7-10 on a scale of 1-10). After intervention, 2016 school-wide needs assessment showed 40% reported high feelings of stress (7-10 on a scale of 1-10). That is a 6% decrease!

Perception data from Pre/Post Test:

Attitude:
Prior to prevention, 59% believed their stress got in the way of their success in school. After intervention, 68% believed their stress got in the way of their success at school. That is a 9% increase.

Skill:
Prior to intervention, 69% correctly demonstrated skill of coping with stress in a classroom scenario. After intervention, 78% correctly demonstrated skill of coping with stress in a classroom scenario. That is a 9% increase!

Knowledge:
Prior to intervention, 47% correctly identified examples of appropriate coping skills. After intervention, 53% correctly identified examples of appropriate coping skills. That’s a 6% increase!

Outcome Data (Achievement, attendance, and/or behavior data): Attendance Data: Overall attendance rate of 2014 sophomore class 95%, compared to overall attendance fate of 2015 sophomores, which was a 95% (0% increase) Behavior Data: Number of hospitalization related to stress for 2014 sophomores was 8, compared to number of hospitalizations related to stress for 2015 sophomore class of 6. That was a 25% decrease!

Implications: * Increase in belief that stress got in the way of success may increased stress in some students. We will have to use interventions in various formats in the future. * Decrease in hospitalizations in sophomore class validates program, need to continue refining and improving! * Decrease in reported high levels of stress by 6% as evidenced by needs assessment validates efforts, will continue to modify and improve interventions targeting stress!

Attachments


Word
Download

PDF
Download